Saturday, September 6, 2008

Under the Stars

For Labor day weekend Hubby treated me to a wonderful camping trip at Mt Ward near Ely, NV. We had a great time hiking, even though it wasn't the best hiking trails we've ever hiked because there was not a specific destination, but a trail system of many interlocking trails instead. We did get to see a deer and a MASSIVE ant mound.

"Mmm, I think I'd like deer..."


You can't see the ants, but believe me they were there. This mound is about size of a large exercise ball. I wouldn't recommend sit-ups!


Back at camp we entertained ourselves with Scrabble. I won! I have a distinct advantage camping, Hubby feels out of his element. The pups took the time to enjoy the tent with a nap....



Of course we indulged in fantastic camp food, prepared by Hubby, a great dirty cook.

Unfortunately, it started raining soon after dinner and for the rest of the night so we did not get to enjoy a campfire, and most importantly we did not get to enjoy our s'mores!

Boo!

A brief break in the rain did provide a wonderul sunset....


I have to admit that Ely, NV was the last place I expected rain over Labor Day. When it started raining again on Sunday at 2 in the afternoon we decided to cut the trip short and come home. None-the-less we had a great little get-away!

Poll results from last week....62% don't think A-Rod is unfairly criticized. I am squarely in this group, I always get a kick when anything about the Yanks is criticized and the highest paid player in the game is an easy target!

For this week, my poll is one that leaves a divided house here in Vegas....

7 comments:

Nurse Horrible said...

I think you need more possible answers in this week's poll. I don't feel quite satisfied answering 'yes' or 'no'. Although I did answer, but mostly it was Gigi egging me on.

I anticipate that Sharon will soon make a comment saying something like, "I wish my hubby would take me camping...". Please let me take a moment to pre-emptively answer her: Yes, Sharon, my dear, we will go camping, but we need to find a NY weekend without trips to FL, birthdays, hurricanes, potential sub-minor league baseball game outings, umbrella wounds to the foot, open biopsy sores, potential terrorist attacks, eminent scientific lectures, initial visits to potential graduate schools, bouts of rheumatic fever, or periods of intense confusion. Thanks.

Sharon said...

lol...ummm...boy, i wish my hubby would take me camping...
i HAD to say it now, no?!
excuses, excuses

looks awesome brandy, i've never seen a ant hill like that. its really cool. what did the ants look like? were they big? where they black or red or brown? i want to look it up and see if they are dangerous or not. i love learning about entomology stuff.

Don said...

Great sunset picture and I really liked the anthill (pile?). We would like to know the genus and species of those ants.
I must admit that you seem to be loading the questions. Who would have thought that two Boston Fans would think that A-Rod was being mistreated?? I wonder if there might also be a slight conflict of interest on this current question too? Maybe a more appropriate question would be whether the U.S. would ever equal the rest of the world in their ferver toward "football".
And finally, rain in Nevada in summer? Wow, that must have been a shock to you and the evnironment.

The Life and Times of Poose and Hawk said...

Great sunset shot. We're going to look for our first major tent for the entire fam. Something from Wal Mart should suffice. I, of course, voted pro soccer.

Maxanna said...

I love all the pictures- Great story- And camp food is always so good- And no matter how hard you try you can't replicate it outside the camping experience- Alas my camping days are over- I'm just going to have to suffer through an assortment of B&B's. Life is tough for the aged!
Love the blog! Mom

Lucas said...

Awesome sunset shot! So gorgeous. I love camping and am so at home in the dirt but we don't go nearly as often as I'd like. Sorry you missed out on your smores but maybe you could whip some up in your kitchen at home? The same? No. Still good? Oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

not as much fun but... smore cravings can be satisfied with a microwave! If you really just NEED one that is... But better watch the marshmellow, they tend to get big FAST!
Love,
K in ohio