My blog worthy feet this week was to make a homemade peach pie! Any time my Mom is making a pie crust she explains that once a Lucas, she felt she needed to live up to Grandma Lucas' pie crusts. I accept the generational challenge and will attempt to make pie crusts worthy of my Mom's. It may prove to be a Sisyphean task, but mine nonetheless.
This was my second attempt at a pie crust, the first one a total disaster, refusing to do anything pie like, ended up in the trash and I had to use the frozen pie crust I had as a backup. For this pie, my measure of success was not using the frozen back-ups. In the interim between my first and second attempts, Mom provided me with the finest pie crust making accoutrement; narrowing my excuses to zero. Thanks Mom!
The night before the big pie day, my spirits were buoyed when one of the two homemade pizza crusts I made (with bread maker) formed into a shape worthy of
π
To go with the dessert (an unfortunate convention), Hubby prepared a wonderful ginger pork loin and stuffed bell peppers.Peach Pie!
You may notice that I did not weave the top portion of the pie crust. As I was finishing up the crust, dinner was ready and Hubby was explaining that his lion was getting cold. Not in this house! So the pie went in the oven sans weave. Dinner was fantastic, particularly dessert!
As for the poll from last blog....there were 9 votes, the majority asking "Mark who?" Mark Spitz was the previous highest gold medal winner in a single Olympics with 7 won in 1972. ESPN reported that he was "miffed" that he was not invited to watch Micheal Phelps attempt to break his record. There is precedence for record holders being invited to watch their record being broken...Barry Bonds (Hank Aaron), Brett Favre (Dan Marino), and Hank Aaron (Babe Ruthe's surviving family). EPSN didn't follow up on the story that I could tell, but given that Spitz's remarks on Phelps' new record was that he "could have matched Phelps stroke for stroke in (his) prime", shows that he is either a jerk or terribly mis-quoted.
I included a new pole, so please take a second to answer.
8 comments:
Ah, you guys....!
The best I ever got (in the way of food prepared by husband) was roast beef in a pressure cooker!
But in my younger days, when I could go blackberry-picking up at Grand Lake, was blackberry cobbler. Now that we're back in Oklahoma, I cannot FIND any blackberries! Where did they all go???
Great dinner! Great pics. Brandy, you're a blogging pro!
Why didn't I "preview"? What I meant was...
But in my younger days, when I could go blackberry-picking up at Grand Lake, I made a pretty fair blackberry cobbler.
Now I'm hungry!
Pie looks wonderful. I'll print this and send it to my Mom. That will make 3 generations of pie makers now. Way to go Brandy.
I always thought Spitz was a jerk when he won the 7 golds. Looks like he hasn't changed.
You're going to have to teach me some of your blogging tricks! Other blogs with last time posted?? Voting poles with updated results?? I am impressed.
The pie is beautiful! I've never been brave enough to try the lattice top- And you did! I do believe your pie takes the prize. And remember that peach is Granddad's very favorite of all. Thanks for the update of the blog- I've been looking a couple of times a day- and of course Don beat me to it again. Love you! Mom
Gigi says that if you make the pie crust, she will prepare the lattice-works. She'll need concentration, so just give her about 10 minutes alone in the kitchen.
I have to also comment on main course. Yes, we all know that the pie was an achievement worth the gold medal, but that pork tenderloin looked awfully good too. I had no idea that Will was so interested in presentation.
Your post is making me hungry.
OMG! I'm coming over for dinner dude!! That looks AMAZING! And my man can cook but the artistry displayed on that pork dish is not something we get around my house. As for the pie, weave, schmeave! Bring on the pie!
Post a Comment