Monday, January 19, 2009

No Longer Gender Neutral

Today I went to the OB to find out how the balance of power will shift in our house. Estrogen and testosterone are now equally balanced with Cayman and I bringing the estrogen and Brumbee and Hubby providing the testosterone.


First let me say that preparing for an ultrasound is pure torture. Already I can't make it thirty minutes without having to pee, and I don't think the baby has even found my bladder yet. As I understand it my current urine frequency is due to increase body fluid volume that is being used to supply the baby. I expect in the next month or so the baby will find my bladder and beat it like a set of bongo drums. I can't walk the dogs without feeling incontinent. I think by the end of this pregnancy I'll be walking them back and forth in front of the house so I can duck inside whenever I need to use the restroom. To prepare for an ultrasound I had to go 90 minutes without using the bathroom and drink 48 oz of water, I felt so submerged in pee I started to hold my breath! Fortunately the staff at the clinic are very aware of the accident potential in pregnant women and they do their best to keep ultrasound on time. Mine started about 10 minutes early, I was very relieved (Ha Ha!).

The ultrasound technician was very nice and quickly pointed out to me that the baby is in fact a little GIRL! Right now she weighs 13 oz, less than a third of the water I had to drink in order to see her on the ultrasound. (Please forgive the fact that I used fluid ounces and mass ounces interchangeably for that last line to work, go with it Nurse Horrible and Don.)

How are Hubby and Brumbee taking the news?

Drowning their sorrows! They'll be fine I'm sure!

So in five short months the balance of power will shift significantly...


We're no dummies! The honeymoon is over. Already I've put on 288 oz to support this 13 oz baby, approximately a 22:1 support to baby ratio. By birth the ratio should be around 5:1, which I hope is closer to the actual support to baby ratio required as parents, although I'm sure we'll start at 22:1 as we are figuring everything out. To offset this, we are lining up helpers to come to Las Vegas and ease us into the new routine.

In the next couple of weeks I should start feeling the baby move and then a couple of weeks after that Hubby should be able to feel her as well. I've been told it feels like a grumble in my tummy, only I won't be hungry. At this point I'm not sure I'll notice, any movement in my stomach that could be remotely attributed to hunger is immediately rewarded with food.

The best part of pregnancy so far are maternity pants, the perfect blend of sweat pant comfort at the top and stylish pants on the bottom! I also have a make believe craving. I like to make believe that I have an insatiable craving for cookies, particularly chocolate chip, due to the pregnancy. Hubby recommends make believe cookies to go with my make believe pregnancy craving!

As far as names, our official position at this point is that we are nameless. Hubby tells me that with five months to go there's no rush, meanwhile I've filled a book with possibilities.

Ultimately we're very excited to know the baby is a girl and are looking forward to decorating the nursery and picking out baby items for her, as well as planning the next 18-30 years of her life, but we'll try to remain as flexible as possible. I'm already preparing my speech..."Young lady we chose the colors for your first room, we'll choose the colors for you first home."

Last week's poll, a dead heat between the four remaining NFL teams. Obviously only the two who chose the Cardinals and the two who chose the Steelers could be correct from this point, so we'll see in two weeks how the Superbowl turns out. I'll be cheering for the Cardinals, just because I can't believe they've made it this far and figure I should pick them for one game at least.

This week, in keeping with the baby theme, what do you think will be the more challenging part of parenting an infant?

P.S. - For Nurse Horrible, two words, "anal glands".






11 comments:

Maxanna said...

I am soooooo laughing!
And also- why didn't I get to pick out your colors- I did decorate your first room.
And I'm still trying to tell you what to do (about as successfully as when you were 2 years old- didn't work then or now)
And you are in for the time of your life- and I'm so glad to be along for the ride!
Grama Max

Don said...

As you well know, the secret of keeping peace in the world is a balance of power. Given that fact, perhaps you should consider getting another male in the house. I suggest that in about 5 months you consider getting a male fish to keep the balance of power. But then again since Will is gone so much, maybe Brumbee needs a couple of male goldfish to keep things peaceful.

And I thought you were a helicopter pilot that knew how to take care of those urges to pee while rescueing all of those in need. Just wear your flight suit with all of its accessories.

Nurse Horrible said...

by "unexplained crying" i'm sure you mean yours and hubby's...

it's hard to see the screen through my tears of laughter, and am not too upset that "anal gland" was not a choice...

also, i love that you're using math and putting all those ratios together. it's very motherly.

do we get to decide the color of the room in a poll? can you place color choices that do not include pink??

Bloggin' from the Bayou said...

The colors for the room are actually already chosen, blue and yellow. In part because we painted the entire house this summer, and there is no way Hubby is going to redo any of it.

Amber said...

Great blog, B! do you have any diapers left over from your pilot days, they could come in handy when you're walking the pooches!

Genie Bargain Shopper said...

1. Congrats on some fine graphic artwork!

2. Do you know that Danielle Steele, et al, earn big bucks for writing tripe that is not nearly as creative as the prose I read in the family blogs. Shame. Be sure to make hard copies of your blog posts; you never know...there may be a novel in there.

3. So, the "girl first" continues. I was a senior in college, doing my intern teaching in my brother's junior high school. He was president of the Student Council, and officiated at school assemblies. That's about when he ceased being my "little brother" and began easing into the "big brother" category. I'm guessing Clint doesn't feel nearly as much like a "little brother" as he used to.

4. Do you want some Wilde/Durham family names? great-grandmother: May Saphronia; her sisters: Fern, Alpha, Pearl; your grandmother: Virginia Eloise; her sister: Vivian Marcella. Genetically, you favor your Wilde/Durham side. I'll have to remind myself of the Kappel names. The "guy" names have weathered the test of time better, many having been last names of relatives, such as Barton, Nixon, Jackson, etc., and first names such as Robert, Kenneth, Bryce, Michael, Charles. I always thought it was just shy of criminal to saddle an infant born mid-twentieth century with the name "Henry". Your grandfather was Henry Valentine III. Ah, I wax nostalgiac.

5. I voted for "pee, pooh and barf" not because I was not concerned about unexplained crying but rather because I was so fortunate in having a baby who "fussed" only once during infancy, and never made it to the "crying" stage; had a bit of sick. Otherwise unbelievably healthy, which I attribute to the fact that he was born in the mountains of California and I had several months of daily hiking in beautiful surroundings and clean air! But, alas, I wore a t-towel over my shoulder for months and we called him Barfy almost until he started school.

6. It is so wonderful to be able to share your experiences. Thank you so much. Take care of you! I love you,

Aunt Karen

The Life and Times of Poose and Hawk said...

Awesome blog! I think that your pregnancy weight should be an even better ratio if you give birth to a Hayes size child! And to think, I've lost 50 pounds this year. No one needs to know the peak, but that number has to make you feel good, right?

Sharon said...

that was SO funny. matthew is in the other room going "whats so funny?"
congrats on it being a girl :)
i love the graphics too. lol
ok. EVERYTHING in that post was awesome. possibly the best post i've ever read. (sorry if i upset anyone with that comment :) )

stay well and near the toilet!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! You have a sweet little girl who will fight with you and ADORE her daddy! But when it's all said and done, she'll be your little girl forever and ever and will call you when she is pregnant with 1000 questions and ask your advice on mothering!
Love ya and LOVED your post!
Kel

PS I had that urination urgency too, always worrying about when I will go next and will I make it? ENJOY!!!

Anonymous said...

A 22-to-1 support-to-baby ratio, that's some good comedy.

Don said...

So I guess telling us the sex of this growing child was all of your committments to blogging this year? I don't suppose you've had anything else to talk about that would be of any interest to anyone? But then don't worry about us. We'll just sit at home and not worry too much about your life.