Here, Jack, Mikayla, and Kennidi are getting very excited about diving into the cake! Mikayla was so happy when we sang "Happy Birthday" to her!
We had perfect beach weather for Grama and Granpa, so we took advantage and went to the beach. We had a great time and it was the first time Mikayla ventured into the water a little (with Mommy of course). I thought it was the beginning of weekly beach trips all summer and loads of fun...well, this was our last successful beach trip. We have tried two trips since and within 5 minutes Mikayla is crying "I want to go home!" I guess we'll need Grama and Granpa to come back so we can have fun at the beach again!
The day after the beach Mikayla decided she needed to rest up a little before Grama and Granpa left and to get ready for her birthday trip to New Orleans (where else would you take a 2 year old for a birthday trip?).
So we said goodbye to Grama and Granpa on Tuedsay and left for New Orleans on Friday for Memorial Day Weekend.
As soon as this guy started playing "Row Row Row Your Boat" Mikayla was hooked! She thought he was great! He even knew "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" amazing!
Our weekend was jammed packed with kid appropriate fun and about 5 hours of walking the French Quarter each day. On Friday afternoon we went to the Insectarium and enjoyed looking at thousands of insects before heading for Draggo's that Hubby had seen on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". The food was good, but our best meal was yet to come.
Saturday and Sunday we spent the morning at City Park to walk Cayman, play on the playground, and feed the ducks.
In a boldness I have never witnessed in Hubby before, he stalked a complete stranger down to the water who was carrying an armful of bread for her kids saying "Mikayla let's go watch them feed the ducks." and Mikayla saying "Daddy, Mikayla feed ducks." again and again only the way a two year old can, until the woman relinquished two loafs of bread to the adorable little girl. Hubby even managed to keep a straight faced when he said "Are you sure you don't mind?" I was laughing at the whole scene! Way to go Daddy!
Saturday afternoon we went to the zoo and had a wonderful time. Mikayla first went to the zoo in Cincinnati when she was one, and the petting zoo was a little scary for her. Now that she is twice as old as her first visit to a zoo, she is very brave and loved brushing the goats! She's aging so well!
Oh how I can't wait to show this picture to Mikayla after her first adult visit to New Orleans! This picture was outside the aquarium which we went to Sunday afternoon. The aquarium was really good, but a bit crowded. Before we went to the aquarium we hit Cafe Du Monde for cafe lait and beignets, the sugar high was what we needed to power through the aquarium! Sunday evening we had our best meal of the weekend at the Crescent City Brew House in the French Quarter. We followed dinner with dessert at the Palace Cafe and I HIGHLY recommend their Mississippi Pie!
As Hubby was weaving the stroller through the French Quarter repeating "Tired Baby! Sweaty Daddy! Comin' through!" working his way back to the truck, I saw this dwarf pony on the sidewalk! It wasn't even dark out and French Quarter colors were coming out!
We had a wonderful and exhausting weekend. I would definitely recommend visiting New Orleans with kids. The insectarium, zoo, aquarium, and City Park were great and Mommy and Daddy had plenty of delicious food! We could have easily kept ourselves busy for a few more days, but that just means there is more to explore next time!
6 comments:
Good gracious! She is just.....STUNNING! Truly! Such a beauty! And how wonderful that she is happy and curious to boot! What a killer combo. :) Your trip looks like a blast. It's great to read your writing again Brandy. So glad you guys are enjoying life.
And mmmmmmmm.....bignets! YUM!
Oops! Not BIG NETS! Haha. Bingets. Wait! That's not right either! Biegnets! Is that right? I took that spelling from your blog, so if it's wrong, it's YOUR fault. :D Any way you choose to arrange the letters, it still spells DELICIOUS!!
First let me say what an absolutely wonderful time we had celebrating Mikayla's BIG 02! What fun! Count us in for every year- you really know how to do a celebration right.
And the pictures are so much fun to see (particularly on a computer- not a phone). Can't tell which one is my favorite- maybe every one of them- but the big grin as she waits with Jack and Kennedy for the cake is priceless- but then the one with the trombone player- or wait maybe the one of the 3 of us on the beach. Great job!
Can't wait for "next time"- and more fun with Mikayla (and her wonderful parents!
Grama
Looks like Mikaylas party was a blast. That adorable face looking at cake would melt your heart!! you all look as though New Orleans was wonderful!! You got some terrific pictures..of course you have a stunning subject!! This Grammy misses her little one..thak goodness for skype!! I agree..great to have you blogging again!!
Love,
Grammy Maggie
Great Post Brandy I missed your blog!! It looks like Mikayla had a wonderful birthday and time with Gramma and Grampa.
Keep the pictures coming
Anne
Best two year old party I've ever been lucky enough to attend. We had a great time and look forward to getting Mikayla on a surf board next time. I must say that beignets and cafe aulait is one dessert that I will eat, that is if I ever get to New Orleans again.
Post a Comment